Last Spring Break we went camping and hiking around Hill Country area. Since the only campsite left at the state parks we wanted to visit were primitive ones, we chose to stay at Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park in Fredericksburg instead. (Confession: I like camping but I have to stay on the site that has water, and site with electricity is a plus.)
When we got there on Monday afternoon, we were surprised to find only about 5 tents pitched on the ground. This park could accommodate more than 30 tents easily on their 5 acre camping field. On the other side, all RV sites looked pretty full. Probably because it’s more to RV park than tent camping. We have stayed in this park before.
What I like about Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park:
- Clean bathroom with hot showers and electric outlet. Yes, you can pack your hairdryer. (Note: they called the campsite primitive because no water on site. You have to walk about a minute to the bathroom.)
- Picnic tables though not too many.
- Free WiFi.
- I can borrow books or games from the park headquarters.
- Just 3 miles south of downtown Fredericksburg off of Hwy 16 S..
- Close to places of interests in the area.
- Quite dark at night so we can enjoy the stars.
- And of course, it’s cheap. Only $10.00/night/tent.
There are other things that will make your stay enjoyable at Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park. Playground, pool (opens in summer only), pets friendly, hiking trails, tennis court, and it’s a huge ground. You can bring your bike and explore the park on it, or jog/walk around the park.
Tent campers are first come first serve.
Location: 432 Lady Bird Drive, 3 miles south of downtown, taking State Highway 16 South.
Phone: (830) 997-4202.
Last stayed: Labor Day weekend, 2016.
[wpdevart_forms id=”1″ ]